[Talk-us] U.S. Local Chapters

Bill Ricker bill.n1vux at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 04:19:21 BST 2009

On Tue, Sep 15, 2009 at 10:32 PM, Kate Chapman <kate at maploser.com> wrote:
> I've heard various talk going on about local chapters in various places. I
> did a quick archive search but didn't find that much information regarding
> U.S. chapters.  There seems to be people interested, but perhaps working
> separately.

At least some US local cadre organize around the state and city
wiki.osm.org pages, with just an event announcement on the list.
eg http://wiki.osm.org/wiki/Boston

I've been around 501(c)(3) and related state incorporation and
charitable regs more often than I'd like. I'd rather spend my mapping
time mapping and leave any corporate governance to the OSMF and
CloudMade.

Incorporation is useful if there are assets or liabilities.   I don't
see a cash flow in a OSM chapter.  If there isn't enough cash flow to
pay for Directors' Liability Insurance, incorporating just focuses
Liability on the Officers and Directors. The asset is the Map date,
rights for which are held by OSMF.  CloudMade and the OSMF should
handle the legal issues. Let's map.

--
Bill
n1vux at arrl.net bill.n1vux at gmail.com