[Talk-us] U.S. Local Chapters

Sarah Manley sarah.m.manley at gmail.com
Wed Sep 16 21:56:54 BST 2009

As listed by Kate in her second email (and being built out on the wiki:
http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/Foundation/Local_Chapters/United_States)
A local chapter will do more advocacy within their own nation.

In the US, if incorporated as a non-profit, the chapter would be able to
accept donations without having to pay taxes on them (and provide a tax
write off to those who donate to us), be eligible for public and private
grants, act as a separate legal entity that owns all data/material donated
(which often makes government bodies more willing to share). I know that the
OSMF can to that in the UK now, but I have the feeling the US
companies/governments would be more comfortable in supporting the project if
it had US legal status. (esp if its map data collected with US tax payer
money). I think if we want to the US mapper community to grow, this is a way
to help as well as formalize the presence here.

The cons- more paperwork, money and time.