[Talk-us] Welcome and chapter talk

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Mon Sep 28 16:21:08 BST 2009

Hi all,
I just found this list and the discussion about forming a US chapter.  I'm
an accountant and enrolled agent living in Tampa, Florida, who has been
playing around with OSM for about a month now (I apparently had an account
years ago but I don't remember using it very much).  I have successfully
incorporated a non-profit organization in the state of Florida, and am
treasurer of that organization.  We haven't filed with the IRS for exemption
from taxation, and we probably don't plan on ever doing so (it's not worth
the hassle for us), but this is something I'm familiar with and would be
willing to do for the chapter (I have a colleague who has successfully
applied for exemptions in the past and most likely would be willing to help
me with the wording for free - this isn't something I'd recommend paying
for).

As for the incorporation itself, if you want to incorporate in Florida I can
handle this no problem.  However, among other things (I can give the details
later), I'd need a physical address (not PO Box) of the principal place of
business, which needs to be located in Florida. That could be someone's
house (the principal place of business of the Wikimedia Foundation was
initially the house of Jimmy Wales), but it'd probably be better if we could
use something more professional.  Maybe the USF can be convinced to let us
use a faculty member's office as the principal place of business.

If you'd rather incorporate outside of Florida, that's fine too.  I can
still help with all the IRS filings, which are more complicated than the
state incorporation anyway.  And I can probably help a little with the state
tax filings, though I'm most familiar with the laws of Florida.  Don't
incorporate without checking with a tax expert.  You need to make sure your
purpose statement adheres to the IRS requirements if you want tax exemption.

Let me know when the next teleconference is planned.

Anthony DiPierro