[Talk-us] Street Naming Conventions

andrzej zaborowski balrogg at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 13:22:52 BST 2010

Hi Val,
you send the mail to me only, you might want to resend to list.

On 8 April 2010 08:31, Val Kartchner <val42k at gmail.com> wrote:
> 5) Should suggestions be given to renderers to use the USPS
> abbreviations?

Another possibility is to use the TIGER guidelines, if the USPS list
has issues related to copyright.

>  b) I have used the alternate names (name, name_1, name_2, etc.) for
> alternates which would include expansions of the abbreviations.  Should
> we establish a standard for how these are used and their order?  For
> instance, north of 200 North, Washington Blvd is also 400 East and State
> Route 235 (though I know that routes are now tagged by relations).

There's also some confusion with what name_N tags are used for in
TIGER imports vs. the rest of OSM.  There are different tags for the
different names according to their type:

loc_name= for a not-necessarily official name, but used by locals,
official_name=,
alt_name=
int_name= (I'm not sure what this one is for)
ref=
reg_ref=

while in TIGER all of these are stuffed into name_N= tags as same
level citizens in seemingly random order.  I think maybe the _N
convention should only be used for different possible spellings of the
same name, while things like National Forest Development Road 0160
should be put in ref= or reg_ref=, and things like US Highway 30
removed completely and moved to relation's name.  And things like
Cemetery Road into loc_name unless name is empty.

Cheers,
Andrew