[Talk-us] USGS has no problem using information from copyrighted maps

Dale Puch dale.puch at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 20:02:47 BST 2010

It will probably take some digging to find out the full story, and it will
probably differ from state to state.  But it seems that around 1995-2005
time range federal, state and local governments started to share GIS data.
As they did this they also changed their copyright and access policies due
to the sharing.

To make matters worse, very few clearly state any copyright or restrictions,
even though there is a specific field in the meta-data.

While I do not know for sure, my guess is that the original map was indeed
copyrighted, but at a later date the map, or data was shared with other
agencies and the result was no longer copyrighted.

It would be really nice to have the copyright/usability status of various
data sets published by the various agencies.

Dale