[Talk-us] Street Naming Conventions

Dale Puch dale.puch at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 21:11:26 BST 2010

Oops did not send this to the group

Dale

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Dale Puch <dale.puch at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, Apr 7, 2010 at 11:59 PM
Subject: Re: [Talk-us] Street Naming Conventions
To: andrzej zaborowski <balrogg at gmail.com>

In my explanation of what I think would be best the comma separated examples
are only to show how the 4 fields would be broken into different tags, not
as 4 items in a single tag.
All streets that use them would have tags something like name_directional:
name_prefix: name: and name_suffix: with all data spelled out in full.

As far as the tiger data being in separate tags, yea that is the basic
idea.  It is there because Dave preserved the tiger fields as best he
could.  But these are not standard tags that OSM apps use for names.  If we
moved to the 4 tag method then the tiger tags could be deleted (or converted
to the new ones).

Of course the less drastic approach is to just make the name: tag complete
without any abbreviations.  And could also be a stepping stone to the 4 tag
method at any later date.

Dale

--
Dale Puch