[Talk-us] Street Naming Conventions

Dale Puch dale.puch at gmail.com
Thu Apr 8 22:09:25 BST 2010

Perhaps we should take a look at what a bot would match.

Run a bot that finds and counts the various matches and outputs a report
only.  pre, mid and suffix counts the abbreviations. and what the bot would
expand each abbreviation to.
Abbreviations in the middle should be located, but probably not changed by
the bot.  The pre and suffix ones should be pretty safe.
Then start to decide which would be safe to run based on the results.  If
this can be done by state or perhaps even county all the better to minimize
issues with local standards.
Anything that might be questionable we would want to manually look at the
current names and results.  Having a link to a potlatch view or josm
shortcut would be all the better.

Let the bot run on the safer choices, the rest we would have a list to
manually check and edit if needed.  Similar to what was done with motorway
links.
Yes there will be mistakes, but stuff like having two streets with 'saint
louis street' and 'st louis street' names is only going to be fixable by
locals IMO  Then again how much different is that from two streets with the
same name in adjacent towns?  Unless the city and zip are the same, what
will it really matter?

Dale