[Talk-us] Admin boundaries tied to roads

Apollinaris Schoell aschoell at gmail.com
Sat Apr 24 05:07:58 BST 2010

On 23 Apr 2010, at 19:46 , Alan Mintz wrote:

> At 2010-04-23 07:47, Apollinaris Schoell wrote:
>
> I don't know about "completely". The parts of the Kern/LA/Orange/San
> Bernardino/Riverside/San Diego borders that I have surveyed are at least
> close to the signage at important points (admittedly a weak standard), but
> I've also gone hunting for detail in law in some spots and found that the
> borders were right as of their date of creation in the source data. I
> remember manually fixing a little bit of the OC/LA border in La Habra from
> some sort of change description - maybe something out the BAS project. What
> a pain that was.

depends on the definition, for me a difference of 100-200m is too bad. any GPS or verbal description is better if matched with Yahoo. In some corners even worse complex edges have been entirely clipped.
USGS is pretty good and matches county borders. County borders are from official state data and are high accuracy. Also Sat matches well when borders follow natural features.
USGS tracing is very difficult because borders are often hard to identify among other features.

> Is anyone working on borders currently? Is the BAS a reasonable source?

what is BAS? any better source will be useful