[Talk-us] Would Like To Clean Salt Lake City Street Names

Kevin Atkinson kevin at atkinson.dhs.org
Sun Aug 1 00:26:58 BST 2010

On Sat, 31 Jul 2010, Val Kartchner wrote:

> While Ogden (Utah) is laid out in a grid, it is somewhat different. In
> Ogden, Wall Avenue is 100 E/W and North Street is 100 N/S.  Also, east
> and south direction prefixes are assumed if none is given.  So "3725
> Washington" is really "3725 South Washington Boulevard", and "350 25th"
> is "350 East 25th Street".  If/when you run your script on Ogden (which
> I'd like), you'll have to take this directional assumption into account.

OK.  Although at this point I'm not sure what I am going to do.  I do not
want to start an edit war.

> However, we come to the problem of tagging as the street signs say (as
> the wiki says with abbreviations expanded), or tagging for address
> look-up (which I've only seen Cloud Made make available).  When tagging
> for alternate names, do we use "name", "name_1", "name_2", "name_3",
> etc, or "name", "alt_name".

"name_*" is not documented in the wiki.  I believe its effect is to show
each name in turn in the map.  There is also "alt_name" which I presume
will not show up on the map.  There is also "loc_name" which means
local name.

> Note: Some streets that I've corrected tags on legitimately have six
> name tags.  For instance: "Washington Boulevard", "South Washington
> Boulevard", "400 East", "South 400 East", "400 East Street", "South 400
> East Street", "US-89", though the last one I've put in the "ref" tag.
> (However, it would be legitimate to give an address like "3750 South
> US-89" and it would get there.  When US-89 splits off from Washington
> Boulevard, it is fully spelled out as "United States Highway 89".)  If
> you don't want all of the variations put in some sort of "name" tag,
> then develop a standard way of conveying the same information.

So is the street signed as "400 East" at all (other than in tiny letters
as every street is in the Salt Lake area)?