[Talk-us] Abbreviation Police

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 3 14:29:30 BST 2010

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 9:11 AM, Richard Weait <richard at weait.com> wrote:
> I see these abbreviation errors in other map products.  I have a
> navigation device that announces County Road 33 as "Co-Road
> Thirty-three"  Surely we can aspire to do better than propagating the
> errors of other projects?

I've heard "county aitch double-you why four twenty-three" from in-car
navigation. I've also seen TIGER errors such as "Cord" (one word) for
County Road, or Logging Road for LR (a Legislative Route system that
existed in Pennsylvania until 1987). (The latter is of course an
improper expansion; we need to be careful when expanding.)