[Talk-us] A Friendly Guide to 'Bots and Imports

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 19:38:36 BST 2010

On Thu, Aug 5, 2010 at 1:27 PM, Nathan Edgars II <neroute2 at gmail.com> wrote:

> One thing I'm wondering about: how useful is a small piece of a future
> larger import? For example, there's the National Hydrography Dataset,
> import of which is apparently being coordinated on the wiki. I've
> imported individual lakes and swamps from it, as well as all of those
> in small areas (such as Disney World). Obviously this is a good thing
> if I'm working on the area. But does it help at all for a future
> larger import, or is it just more 'noise' like lakes drawn from
> aerials?

I think the NHD "import" is a good example of a well-intentioned importer
(me) gone wrong. I had initially planned to import the whole darn thing in
one swoop, but various technical and life challenges came up before I could
get it going. While I was working on those issues, people started importing
it themselves (sometimes marking so on the wiki, sometimes not). Now that
there are some areas imported, the import of the whole dataset becomes
infinitely harder because we have to match existing data with new OSM-ified
data.

What I'm trying to say is that once a small part of an import happens, the
larger import probably doesn't make sense to do.