[Talk-us] A Friendly Guide to 'Bots and Imports

Thu Aug 5 22:43:38 BST 2010

At 2010-08-05 11:52, Ian Dees wrote:
>It isn't any different. I had made the (bad) decision at the time to
>import over any existing data because in the several hundred places I
>spot-checked, NHD was vastly superior in resolution (and probably quality).

By "import over", do you mean to add duplicates, replace the existing
features, or merge the info from the two manually?

As I manually survey various features (POIs, some hydro, etc.), I usually
try to merge in the data from existing imports so as to maintain the link
(e.g. gnis:feature_id) back to the original database, in case we want to
exchange updates with them again.

One thing that occurs to me that may be a problem is that I occasionally
have to delete a feature that is no longer present (e.g.
http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/node/358808220). If we were to feed an
update back to GNIS or get one from them, this situation would have to be
taken into account.