[Talk-us] A Friendly Guide to 'Bots and Imports

James U jumbanho at gmail.com
Thu Aug 5 23:10:43 BST 2010

I have to say that after importing a large amount of NHD data (most of NC
and MN) that it is of varying quality, as was the preexisting water related
data already on the server.  In general, I agree with Ian that it is higher
quality (both resolution and accuracy) than the preexisting data that
largely consisted of quickly drawn Yahoo traces.  I saw very little evidence
of on the ground surveying of these features and don't think the import
will hinder most people from participating in OSM writ large.

I have a fair bit of experience in converting data and would be happy to
convert subbasins (these appear to be rougly 2500 square mile areas
and are documented on the wiki) for people if they want to go through
the process of double checking to make sure the data don't conflict with
or overlap already existing data.

James