[Talk-us] Rendering of semicolon delimited values (WAS: Would Like To Clean Salt Lake City Street Names)

Craig Hinners craig at hinnersection.com
Fri Aug 6 16:17:38 BST 2010

> From: Kevin Atkinson <kevin at atkinson.dhs.org>
> If a stretch of road has multiple numbered route, a semi-colon
> should be used to separate them and I believe that the render _will_
> recognize those.

In my experience, Mapnik renders the semicolon as-is, rather than
creating a shield/marker for each individual route number.

But don't exceed a certain quantity of characters, because then it won't
render a shield at all. The limit is different for the various values of
the "highway" tag: it was 6 and 8 characters when I bitched about it
some years back:

http://trac.openstreetmap.org/ticket/937

Anyway...yet another example of how this practice of cramming every last
bit of highway network metadata into the value field of a "ref" tag has
its limitations...