[Talk-us] A Friendly Guide to 'Bots and Imports

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Fri Aug 6 20:31:43 BST 2010

On Fri, Aug 6, 2010 at 3:13 PM, Kevin Atkinson <kevin at atkinson.dhs.org> wrote:
> On Fri, 6 Aug 2010, Serge Wroclawski wrote:
>
>> 2. I think widespread "bot fixes" should be encouraged to wait 10
>> days. It's just too easy to make a large change and too hard to fix
>> it. I'd also suggest that we (as a community) develop tools to make it
>> easier to demonstrate what an import or bot would do on a test server.
>
> If I had to wait 10 days there is a good chance I would of likely lost
> interest.  I have been trying to say that there are different levels of bots
> and the amount of damage they can do.

If you lose interest quickly, it can't be very important to you.

Minor edits can be done immediately, but any time you're making a mass
change across a wide geographic region (like an entire city), that
requires planning, thinking, feedback. Those things take time, not
just for the person who wants to make the change, but for the rest of
the community to catch up, check the edit out, give feedback, etc.

The best edits in OSM took months of planning.

- Serge