[Talk-us] A Friendly Guide to 'Bots and Imports

Kevin Atkinson kevin at atkinson.dhs.org
Fri Aug 6 20:40:29 BST 2010

On Fri, 6 Aug 2010, Katie Filbert wrote:

> 1) Anyone that wants to run a bot or new tasks for an existing bot
> (automated or semi-automated tasks) must submit a request to the bot
> approval group (BAG). Others are free to comment on the request, in addition
> to BAG.

If I had too go though a formal approval process I would not have even
bothers with my script.  I'm not sure I wouldn't really call it a bot
because I manually downloaded the data, ran a script on the data, than
manually uploaded the data.  As oppose to something complete automatic.

And what exactly consists of a bot.  Would the clean up of Florida's
County routes "ref" tagging been a bot.  It a large scale task systematic
change, even if a script (I think he used search and replace on an editor)
was not used.

If you want to go though with this I think you need a better definition of
a "bot" which should consist of at least one of

1) Large Scale Change
2) Fully automatic

Defining 1) would be tricky, something over the united states count.  But
what about an entire state if the change is limited in scope?

> For OSM, something else we ought to do better with is using the dev API
> server (http://*api06*.*dev*.openstreetmap.org/).

I did not know that site existed.  It needs to be better documented.