[Talk-us] Abbreviation Police

Paul Johnson baloo at ursamundi.org
Sat Aug 7 21:10:00 BST 2010

On Mon, 02 Aug 2010 15:42:52 -0700, Apollinaris Schoell wrote:

> I think typically this isn't part of a name at all. Are people using it
> in an address for mailing? how is it written in official records? how
> would anyone do a search for a street? there are many corner cases so
> there is no simple yes or no

I might be special, but I do not use abbreviations at all when writing
addresses.  Removes all ambiguity, especially given the number of times
I've had my mail get returned as undeliverable because some dumbass
addressed it to "Portland, AR" instead of "Portland, OR."  If they hadn't
used the abbreviation, that wouldn't have happened...