[Talk-us] Directional Prefix/Postfix Proposal (take 2)

Kevin Atkinson kevin at atkinson.dhs.org
Sun Aug 8 06:13:46 BST 2010

I'm giving this another shot, this time I am completely staying out of the
abbreviation debate.

A full street address included more than just a Number and a Street, it
also includes a directional prefix and suffix.  Vid the kid, gave an
excellent overview at http://vidthekid.info/misc/osm-abbr.html.  For
example (from his page) in the address:
    4242 S Champion Ave E
The 'S' is a directional prefix and the 'E' is the suffix and in:
    1337 Rainbow Dr SW
The 'SW' is a directional suffix (really a quadrant suffix).

I hereby propose new tags to record the presence of directional indicators
in the address as follows:

Assuming the name is stored in "name" the new tags shall be
    name:prefix
    name:suffix
    name:full
If an alternative street name is stored in another tag than replace "name"
with that tag, for example "alt_name:prefix".

If the directional prefix or suffix is not part of the name than the
appropriate tag shall be used to indicate the need for a directional
prefix in an address.  It shall be one of:
    'N' 'S' 'E' 'W', 'NW' 'SW', 'NE', 'SE'

If it is included in the word "included" shall be used instead.  This
means the the first word (for a prefix) or the last word (for a suffix) is
a directional indicator.

The inclusion of a directional prefix or suffix should be decided on a
city by city bases and is not part of this proposal.

The full name can go in 'name:full" as an aid in name finder and the like.
But this tag is essentially redundant so I am glad to make it optional.

If the full name is not provided the formation of an address shall be as
follows:
    <number> <prefix if exists and not the word "included">
      <name> <suffix if exists and not the word "included">

Notes:

I use the word "included" rather than a new tag to simplify data entry.  It
also does not significantly complicate usage of the tag.  But I am not dead
set on the idea.

Separating out the base name and the street type would be nice, but I
don't think anyone will really enter in all those tags.  Also I want to
limit the scope to directional prefix or postfixes.

Thoughts?