[Talk-us] Fwd: Re: [OSM-talk] Mapquest launches site based on OSM!

Craig Hinners craig at hinnersection.com
Sun Aug 8 16:24:01 BST 2010

> From: Paul Johnson <baloo at ursamundi.org>
> Perhaps Richard could shed some more light on this, but relations are
> pretty much going to be necessary to properly render route shields given
> the huge variety in highway networks in North America and the world.

My company has a beta version of a renderer that displays the proper
shield, be it interstate, U.S. highway, state, county, or whatnot,
without using relations. To do so, it looks for the following tags on a
way (i.e., /not/ on its relations):

network:country[us]:interstate = 95
network:country[us]:unitedStatesHighway = 1
network:country[us]:state[md] = 99

It also does proper multi-shield rendering of multiplexed routes, be
they of the same type...

network:country[us]:unitedStatesHighway = 50;301

...or disparate:

network:country[us]:interstate = 70
network:country[us]:unitedStatesHighway = 40