[Talk-us] Abbreviation Police

Tue Aug 10 23:52:01 BST 2010

At 2010-08-07 21:40, Paul Johnson wrote:
>On Sat, 07 Aug 2010 18:28:26 -0700, Alan Mintz wrote:
>
> > Lastly, it matches the
> > overwhelming majority of print usage and signage.
>
>If print usage and signage were consistent even between cities in the
>same state, I'd tend to agree.  Given that what areas abbreviate which
>words and what abbreviation they use for it, I'd say trying to find
>abbreviations everyone can agree on for this is entirely futile to the
>point of not even being worth trying.

In the previous thread some months ago, I presented a handful of the most
common street-type abbreviations, covering the vast majority of roads. They
are widely used, consistent, and unambiguous. I can present pics as
evidence from many southern CA cities, as I'm sure could other people for
other places. They are particularly clear when placed in their own tag.

1- and 2-letter directional prefixes and suffixes (e.g. N, NW) are
certainly unambiguous, especially when placed in their own tag.

An easily-created JOSM preset dialog with separate fields for these things
is no harder to populate than the existing single-field. Renderers should
use the component fields if they are present, avoiding the need for an
expanded field altogether, though editors could certainly be modified to
create one easily enough. It's simple logic and a very small hash lookup to
expand it while rendering, certainly a very small percentage of the overall
rendering job, though I think that many people, given the choice, would
prefer a map with less clutter caused by seeing Boulevard, Street, and
Avenue spelled out over and over again.