[Talk-us] Address Standard

Carl Anderson carl.anderson at vadose.org
Wed Aug 11 15:57:54 BST 2010

WRT to the FGDC address data standard.

The capacity to connect related addresses (aliases, alternate names and
historic names) together is an important feature.

Carl Anderson
canderson at spatialfocus.com
carl.anderson at vadose.org
(sent from my phone)

On Aug 11, 2010 9:28 AM, "Lord-Castillo, Brett" <
BLord-Castillo at stlouisco.com> wrote:
> In the midst of all this discussion of prefixes, suffixes, abbreviations,
and directions...
> I just want to point out that the federal address standard has passed
through the public comment period and is now in committee review. It is
expected to become a federal regulation in early 2011.
> http://www.urisa.org/about/initiatives/addressstandard
> This is a federal address -data- standard encompassing the required
government formats for address data for all possible address formats used in
the United States and US territories. The USPS has already developed a new
address profile to conform to this standard (basically a extension to ISO
19106 and Publication 28). The Census has signed on as well, and the next
version of TIGER will likely implement the FGDC proposal.
> The standard is presented as a tag based model expressed in xml. It would
probably be a serious mistake to ignore it. It actually directly addresses
(in address data content) all of the issues that are getting hashed over
here, and quite a few that have not been brought up yet (like dual and quad
number addresses).