[Talk-us] Can US OSM help with license upgrade? (was: Re: License Upgrade - Stage Two Begins)

Nakor nakor.osm at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 15:23:18 BST 2010

  On 8/12/2010 7:15 AM, Richard Weait wrote:
> News today from Mike Collinson, Chair of the OSMF License Working Group:
>
> [...]

Hi,

Sometime ago Serge asked about what US OSM could do. Here is a proposal.

Most of my contributions even though based on my GPS tracks are derived
work of some US governement data (USGS and NAIP imageries) and in a
lesser extent Ohio through OSIP. I also imported some NHS, NPS and TIGER
datasets. I truly do not want all that work to be lost and I trust the
LWG when they say that ODBL is going to be more protective than CC-BY-SA
for the project.

My only issue is the first paragraph of the Contributor Terms. I do not
have **explicit** permission from the various US government entities and
do not feel comfortable accepting those terms.

One of the mission of the US OSM could be to get explicit permission
from those federal/state/local government entities that we derived data
from.

Thanks in advance,

   N.