[Talk-us] Can US OSM help with license upgrade? (was: Re: License Upgrade - Stage Two Begins)

Al Haraka alharaka at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 15:58:06 BST 2010

On Thu, Aug 12, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Dave Hansen <dave at sr71.net> wrote:
> On Thu, 2010-08-12 at 10:23 -0400, Nakor wrote:
>> My only issue is the first paragraph of the Contributor Terms. I do not
>> have **explicit** permission from the various US government entities and
>> do not feel comfortable accepting those terms.
>>
>> One of the mission of the US OSM could be to get explicit permission
>> from those federal/state/local government entities that we derived data
>> from.
>
> Or get a lawyer to tell you whether or not the license terms under which
> the various entities provided the data impact the relicensing.

Is it particularly clear that OSMF, if I correctly understand it to be
the umbrella organization, actually has their own attorneys?  I am
under the impression they volunteer in a very limited basis, and it in
unclear if they see themselves as OSM counsel, and not just working on
the ODBL (I imagine the latter).  These are things that need clearing
up, and will dictate what kind of resources we have and what we would
need in the future.