[Talk-us] National Wetlands Inventory

Steven Johnson sejohnson8 at gmail.com
Thu Aug 12 17:35:30 BST 2010

I'm not an expert on either of these data sets, but I know enough to say
that USGS sponsored the development of the NHD, largely to replace the old
digital line graph (DLG) products. NHD serves as a multi-purpose inventory
of surface waters, grouped by watershed. OTOH, FWS sponsored development of
Natl Wetlands Inventory, largely as a basis for habitat suitability. The
data may overlap, but they serve two different purposes/missions.

SEJ
----
"Wretches, utter wretches, keep your hands from beans." -Empedocles