[Talk-us] USGS imagery (was: Changeset 5393406)

Fri Aug 13 08:57:21 BST 2010

At 2010-08-12 22:08, Eric Wolf wrote:
>I'll dig around a little... personally, I'm wary of using the Terraserver
>imagery unless there has been a specific license granted to OSM to use it.
>Even though they are technically just "hosting" public domain data, the
>nature of public domain is that they can claim copyright over it within
>the context of their hosting service (just as people can print it in a
>book and claim copyright on the book).

When I first started using it, I found somewhere on their site a clear
statement that it was public domain and free to use. Not that I wouldn't
mind getting it direct from USGS, since availability and performance has
been spotty, but I couldn't find it anywhere else.