[Talk-us] [Tagging] National Forest trail numbering

Samat K Jain lists at samat.org
Mon Aug 16 04:05:03 BST 2010

On Sunday, August 15, 2010 01:18:37 pm, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> I can't speak for other states, but in Florida's Ocala National Forest
> the trails, at least the ones you can drive on, are marked with
> rectangular brown highway shields, so ref seems appropriate. But you
> probably shouldn't leave out all prefixes - for example 43 is a
> tertiary road, and with simply ref=43 it wouldn't be clear that it's a
> forest road: http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=29.41438&lon=-81.68936&zoom=15&layers=M
> I'd find out what abbreviation is most common (NFS? NFD? FS? FR?) and
> use it as a prefix.

Just to be clear, I'm talking about hiking trails. Forest roads in the area have already been uploaded with the TIGER import (at least the ones I know of).

On the hiking trails themselves, labeling is very inconsistent. Typically they're labeled with common names (e.g.. Three Rivers Trail No. 44), but occasionally they're labeled with a 'T' prefix (e.g. T5004). Most forest service maps just list the number, e.g. 44, or 5004.

--
Samat K Jain <http://samat.org/> | GPG: 0x4A456FBA

That which does not kill you merely postpones the inevitable.
-- None (673)