[Talk-us] Can US OSM help with license upgrade? (was: Re: License Upgrade - Stage Two Begins)

Dale Puch dale.puch at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 21:26:43 BST 2010

A real problem is that the data itself is not properly tagged, or does not
explicitly state what if any restrictions are placed on it.  When it is not
perfectly clear is when non-lawyers like us are putting themselves and OSM
in possible trouble.

A few examples:
The web site has copyright notices on it, but the shape file data for access
is blank but asks for attribution...
  An e-mail response regarding this is that we can use it with
attribution.   What satisfies the attribution, and is that e-mail valid
permission for the data use?
  Is putting a copy of the e-mail on the wiki enough documentation that we
were given permission?
I believe Michigan by default copyrights all it's GIS data.  vs. most states
that default to NOT copyrighting.
Some place charge a fee to get the data, but is it then free to then copy
and reuse?
Official state clearinghouses (usually a university) will sometimes edit the
shape files to include copyright, even though the source data was
specifically not.
Free to get and use for personal use is not equal to public domain.

These are just some of the question/issues I have come up with.  I can guess
what should be the answer to most of them, but that is not the same as what
the legal answer would be.
If the US OSM could coordinate getting some answers, guidelines, or
procedures for approving data sources that would help a lot.  Or even
specifically approving/excluding the use of various data.

Perhaps they could even convince a lawyer to do it as pro bono   A quick
google search: http://www.probono.net/
http://www.abanet.org/legalservices/probono/directory.html
http://foundationcenter.org/getstarted/faqs/html/probono.html
http://www.idealist.org/if/i/en/faq/145-254/34-81
http://www.probonopartner.org/PBPGuide/frame.htm

This seems exactly like one of the reasons for forming the US OSM  A way for
a group to interface with lawyers and government agencies.

Dale