[Talk-us] Address Standard

Dale Puch dale.puch at gmail.com
Mon Aug 16 21:50:47 BST 2010

Well, personally there is what is, what should be, and what is practical.

The directional prefix/suffix absolutely should not be dropped from any
streets.  Even ones that are simple straight lines that change N/S or E/W at
a point along it.  Treat them as 2 different streets.

What to abbreviate...  nothing in the database.  Let the renders ect. decide
what to or not to.

The database would be much better with the address broken into well defined
parts.  Ideally without the current name tag, and always build the full
name.  I doubt this would work well for data entry by OSM users though.
Unabreviated directional prefix/suffix, type, and the base/remaining name
might be palatable though.  Anything that will not fit nicely into the extra
tags just goes in the base name tag.  In fact, keep using the current name
tag.

Dale