[Talk-us] Dealing with types of places (possibly US-specific)?

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 06:19:31 BST 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 12:42 AM, Val Kartchner <val42k at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2010-08-16 at 23:34 -0400, Nathan Edgars II wrote:
>> What place=* values should be used for unincorporated places? In some
>> states villages are incorporated; do we skip this value? Do we use
>> suburb at all, or is everything village or hamlet?
>
> There should be something between 1000 and 2, but there isn't.
Isn't that what hamlet's for?

> A lot of
> the place names that were loaded with TIGER data are subdivisions.
> There is no "place" key for such small places.

If it's just a subdivision (as opposed to a larger planned or
unplanned community comprising many subdivisions) I've been using
landuse=residential with a name=* but without a place=* once I draw
the boundaries of the area. Most of these seem to come from GNIS
rather than TIGER; the TIGER CDPs are a little larger.

It looks like Mapnik renders suburb names larger than village and
hamlet, so presumably that's not intended for a simple community.