[Talk-us] Brainstorming an Import Tool

Frederik Ramm frederik at remote.org
Tue Aug 17 09:55:35 BST 2010

Ian,

Ian Dees wrote:
> I got the impression after SotM US that there was a huge interest in
> doing imports correctly. For me, correctly means the following:

0. Discuss with community (don't import if no community exists)

> 1. Get permission

1a. Discuss with community (don't import if no community exists)

> 2. Convert to OSM format

2a. Discuss with community (don't import if no community exists)

> 3. Compare to existing data

3a. Work with community (make tools that let LOCAL community do this
comparison)

> 4. Upload to the data

no:

4. provide tools/mechanism to let community upload the data in their
area of interest. If no community exists, do no upload data.

I think that far too much weight is put on the technical side here. In a
place with a thriving community, it may not take more than a WMS server
to get the "import" going. In a place without a thriving community,
NOBODY NEEDS A (third party) IMPORT - the import will only make it
harder for a community to form.

Bye
Frederik