[Talk-us] Brainstorming an Import Tool

Lord-Castillo, Brett BLord-Castillo at stlouisco.com
Tue Aug 17 16:26:45 BST 2010

Google does not make their data available to anyone as far as I know, but the basemap tiles are available to "regular Joe Schmoe" in the same form they are available to us (i.e. you have to get a free API key). We have no contract at all with them.

For ESRI, you have to sign up for an ESRI global account (I think they are free, not certain though). That gives "regular Joe Schmoe" the same data access we get. I would actually say that this works a little easier than OSM for that aspect, since the data is available as shapefiles and other formats. The database synchronization obviously requires ESRI software on the receiving end though (and permission of the uploader, since you connect to their database for the synchronization).

We are interested in the tiles being pushed out, not the actual data. Our data, unfortunately, has all sorts of legal landmines that require us to keep track of who we release it to (centerlines being one of the exceptions though).

Brett Lord-Castillo
Information Systems Designer/GIS Programmer
St. Louis County Police
Office of Emergency Management
14847 Ladue Bluffs Crossing Drive
Chesterfield, MO 63017