[Talk-us] Brainstorming an Import Tool

Joe Woycke woycke at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 16:31:44 BST 2010

the reason to give the data to them is to make it more available to the
public.  there are many benefits to local governments sharing data such as
economic development and the fact that the people who paid for that data to
be created (the taxpayers) are most likely to consume that data through
public outlets such as google maps.  the esri community maps are very
different from osm.  the entity posting the data retains ownership and
control of the data.  this makes it very simple and easy to manage.  five
different entities can have five different versions of the same road.  there
is no synthesis of data.  google is similar in that they are looking for the
best data that they can get so the most people come to their site.  they are
working off of the assumption that the smallest govt will have the  best
data.  again very simple and very easy to do.  they pick the "best" data set
and run with it.  osm is about creating a community.  if osm chooses to
exclude the local govt and refuse their data they will lose out on a rich
data source that is better than the tiger data that osm currently uses as
its base data.

at the very least, i think that we need to find a way for local govt to
replace the tiger data with their data.  that will still present some
problems with connectivity and formatting but those should be doable.  i say
this as both a local govt geographer and an osm enthusiast.