[Talk-us] Address Standard

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 18 05:58:20 BST 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 12:40 AM, Kevin Atkinson <kevin at atkinson.dhs.org> wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Aug 2010, Alan Mintz wrote:
>> So, the remaining questions are:
>>
>> - When you look at official records, like assessor's and tract maps, is it
>> called "South Westmoreland Dr"?

Seems like they sometimes include the prefic and sometimes not.

>> - If someone is giving you directions, do they say "Go west on West 26th
>> Street, then south on South Westmoreland Drive."?

Doubtful. You might hear it for a few of the most major roads (like
Orange Avenue and Colonial Drive, which go across the county), but
otherwise no prefix. You also might say East Colonial or South Orange
when talking about a location, essentially as shorthand for which side
of downtown it's on. But you probably wouldn't for the more minor
roads, even if they do cross the zero line.

>> - It does appear that 2500 N Westmoreland Dr and 2500 S Westmoreland Dr
>> are separate addresses in Orlando, according to USPS
>> (http://zip4.usps.com/zip4/welcome.jsp). However, no prefixes are used for
>> addresses on 26th St, despite the presence on the sign.
>
> I think you forgot the most import test:  Can the Intersection of 26th
> Street and Westmoreland Drive only be one possible location on the map? That
> is, lets assume all streets extend indefinitely.  Can Westmoreland Drive
> intersect with East 26th Street, what about 26th street intersecting with
> North Westmoreland Drive.  In my view the intersection test should be given
> the most weight,  it is a concrete test the distinguishes prefixes used
> mainly as part of the address and prefixes (and suffixes) which identify a
> region of the city.  If there where two roughly parallel 26th Streets (or
> Westmoreland Drives) than the above test will fail.

The numbered streets are only in an area from 18th to 45th south of
downtown, so there's no chance of confusion. There are streets that
loop around and intersect others twice, but prefixes won't solve that
problem.