[Talk-us] Address Standard

Kevin Atkinson kevin at atkinson.dhs.org
Thu Aug 19 22:01:23 BST 2010

On Wed, 18 Aug 2010, Paul Johnson wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Aug 2010 21:44:00 -0600, Kevin Atkinson wrote:
>
>> Do paper maps include the directional prefix or postfix?  I looked at a
>> few maps of Washington DC and not one of them I saw include the quadrant
>> suffix.
>
> I've yet to find a Portland map that didn't include them on all streets,
> even when it's obvious what part of town (like 5 miles south of Burnside,
> three miles east of the Willamette River).

Yeah.

So basically my point in asking the question is that the reinforce, that
while the directionals are certainly important, they should be other ways
to convey the information.

However, for now, important directionals like those used in Portland and
Washington DC, should be kept as part of the name.  I really think they
should remain abbreviated, but the forces that be will insist that
everything is expanded, no matter what.  I can understand their reasons,
but I think there should be some exceptions.

For now, I am focusing on separating out directionals which are _not_
really needed.  A full breakout might help solve the problem for when they
are needed, but that is more involved than a simple separation of the
prefix.