[Talk-us] Can US OSM help with license upgrade? (was: Re: License Upgrade - Stage Two Begins)

Richard Weait richard at weait.com
Sat Aug 21 20:26:39 BST 2010

On Fri, Aug 20, 2010 at 7:50 PM, Dale Puch <dale.puch at gmail.com> wrote:
> And those are the basic assumptions I made as well.  The problem is neither
> of us are lawyers and know what legal risks are involved with those
> assumption other than "stay away from anything not CLEARLY labeled PD"

[ ... ]

> Thus the US OSM determining the legalities for OSM as a group in the US
> seems like a good idea.  At the very least having a layer draw up some rules
> and guidelines for us to follow would be a huge benefit to making more data
> available for use.

I think that your basic premise makes sense; it is helpful for OSM-US
(and or OSMF, LWG, etc) to have a list of vetted licenses, databases
and specific sources which are suitable.  Counter-examples of
databases that are not compatible would also be helpful.  But what
level of authority should be attached to these guidelines?  Should it
be forbidden for mappers to include any data not on the 'good' list?
Are these lists suggestions, guidelines, or mapper-law?

How does this play with the mappers who are already accustomed to
finding interesting data sets, deciding for themselves if the license
is okay, and uploading data without discussion or permission?  Will
these self-starters be able to continue?  Should they?

And finally, if the community does want OSM-US to do this, maintain a
vetted list of licenses, databases and sources, should it be on a
best-guess basis or will OSM-US need to hire a lawyer?