[Talk-us] Fwd: Feature Proposal - RFC - Directional Prefix & Suffix Indication

Kevin Atkinson kevin at atkinson.dhs.org
Tue Aug 24 00:23:20 BST 2010

On Mon, 23 Aug 2010, Dale Puch wrote:

> What locals use can be placed in another tag if it differs from the official
> name, but should not be the primary name in the database.  Local
> governmental standars do affect how we try to break up the names, but not
> how locals (as in along that street) use the names.

Determining the official name may not always be easy.  The only reasonable
thing to do is go with how they are signed, and what locals think the
official name is.

Can we agree that prefixes should probably be separated out if they are
hardly ever (I don't want to say never as there are always rare
exceptions) included in the street sign in any form?

For other cases I think we really need some locals input in how naming is
handled in their city.  I asked "Vid The Kid" to join in on the
conversation, I think he would provide some valuable feedback.  He
removed the prefixes in several streets in Columbus, OH.