[Talk-us] Fwd: Feature Proposal - RFC - Directional Prefix & Suffix Indication

Nathan Edgars II neroute2 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 02:12:04 BST 2010

On Mon, Aug 23, 2010 at 9:03 PM, Alan Mintz
<Alan_Mintz+OSM at earthlink.net> wrote:
> At 2010-08-22 19:28, you wrote:
>> I wouldn't put too much stock in the fact that directionals on street
>> signs are often in smaller fonts.  The people who are responsible for
>> such signs are trying to make them useful while holding down cost (and
>> not having street signs that are exceptionally long).
>
> I disagree. There is no reason to think that they are not also trying to
> show that the directional is part of the block number, not the name, and in
> exactly the way that one would expect - by making it smaller and positioned
> with the block number, and not the name. Logic says this is the more likely
> intent of the sign makers. When someone uses a different font in a document,
> they are usually trying to tell the user that the information is of a
> different type than that shown in other fonts.

Perhaps a better example is Orlando. I linked a photo in the previous
thread: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=28.515555,-81.392877&spn=0.015404,0.041199&t=k&z=16&layer=c&cbll=28.515547,-81.393042&panoid=FgoBLwm7V3KHZOXf7Oklcw&cbp=12,122.26,,1,-0.48
The directions are clearly marked as part of the addresses here.