[Talk-us] What would you want done with TIGER 2010?

Richard Welty rwelty at averillpark.net
Tue Aug 24 04:19:29 BST 2010

  On 8/23/10 11:05 PM, Antony Pegg wrote:
> Hi Everyone,
>
> First time mailing, probably overdue, but I've been reading for a while.
>
> Got a question I'm hoping will spark some discussion:
>
> What would you like to see done (or NOT see done) with TIGER 2010 as
> regards OSM when it is released?
>
> I'm very interested in the "why" behind any suggestions, and would
> love to hear what everyone has to say
this is one of the big challenges facing us.

i chatted with one of the census staffers after SOTM US, and some of the
data
that is so bad from tiger in OSM right now is apparently dramatically
improved
in tiger 2010. for example, the awful data in West Virginia is
reportedly much
better in tiger 2010.

i think we have to go area by area, taking the newer data in areas where
there
has not been any local editing going on. for other areas, i think we
need the new
tools that OSMers like Serge and Ian have been talking about to support
better
conflation strategies.

these tools should support other cases such as in Arkansas, where Learon
Darby
has official data he'd like to see imported.

richard