[Talk-us] What would you want done with TIGER 2010?

Katie Filbert filbertk at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 04:28:47 BST 2010

On Aug 23, 2010, at 11:05 PM, Antony Pegg <antthelimey at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi Everyone,
>
> First time mailing, probably overdue, but I've been reading for a
> while.
>
> Got a question I'm hoping will spark some discussion:
>
> What would you like to see done (or NOT see done) with TIGER 2010 as
> regards OSM when it is released?

Good to see you on the mailing list :)

For tiger 2010, I think the data could be converted to osm format and
made available to mappers

The default though would be not import  it and take it on a case by
case basis (e.g. by county).

If there are any local mappers in an area, they should make the
decision.

Situation could be that:

1) mappers already fixed up most of the road data

2) some local data source has been imported

3) the tiger data that is in osm, how it came to be (e.g. How census
sourced it) differs from place to place. In case of Washington DC, I
have done detailed comparison an tiger/osm matches up almost 100%
perfect with dcgis street centerlines. I am examining the few spots
where they are different and correcting it (based on usgs/dcgis ortho
imagery). Certainly, census sourced the data from dcgis... the best
source and happy with to leave it be in osm (even w/ option of
importing dcgis data)

For Montgomery County, MD and Arlington VA, I have had to "fix" tiger
data. Arlingon, there was an offset. For Montgomery County, some was
okay and some quite aweful.

4) could be there are no mappers in a place, tiger imports are
untouched.  Suppose we could do a comparison and decide on a county-by-
county case basis

Ultimately, a completely automatic import or replacement problem could
end up making things worse, leaving artifacts and mistakes. Quality
checking and some human involvement, especially by locals, is important.

Katie