[Talk-us] What would you want done with TIGER 2010?

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Tue Aug 24 14:24:22 BST 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 7:32 AM, Hillsman, Edward <hillsman at cutr.usf.edu>wrote:

>  Anyway If the 2010 has block-face-level address ranges, it would be good
> to upload the streets as block edges rather than long ways spanning several
> blocks, to make it easier to work with the address ranges. (so the above
> example of Hawthorn St would be uploaded as 8 ways, each with its own
> address range) And then it would be good to see if we can use the 2010 to
> add the address ranges to what has already been edited from the 2007 upload.
> If we want OSM to support routing, we’re going to need addresses. A group of
> Canadian mappers has just completed uploading address ranges for virtually
> all of Canada (discussed on the talk-ca list).

Address ranges in OSM don't live on the road ways themselves, so it won't
help to break up the ways into block-segments. Last I checked the address
range system used ways that run parallel to the road and an optional
relation to connect the two. The wiki seems to be down otherwise I would
link you to the page where I got that idea.