[Talk-us] What would you want done with TIGER 2010?

Anthony osm at inbox.org
Wed Aug 25 00:21:30 BST 2010

On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 7:12 PM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 5:44 PM, Anthony <osm at inbox.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Tue, Aug 24, 2010 at 1:45 PM, Lord-Castillo, Brett
>> <BLord-Castillo at stlouisco.com> wrote:
>> > TIGER 2010 is a different beast from past TIGER products. Each county
>> > was required to respond to the Census bureau with their addressing and
>> > centerline data to build it. So, it is a year or more out of date, but also
>> > it is derived mostly from existing local sources.
>>
>> Required under what law?  Do they have to release it into the public
>> domain?
>
> Title 13 of US code says that the census must release its data for everyone
> to use. They've interpreted this to mean "public domain" as with other
> federally-funded projects.

Yes but my question was what law (if any) requires the counties to
release their centerline data, and what requires the counties to
release such data into the public domain.

Does this mean that the same data which the counties are releasing for
"$$$$ for a GIS DVD with a strict non-reproduction license" is being
released by the Census bureau for free into the public domain?