[Talk-us] Meetups around the US

Katie Filbert filbertk at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 17:34:24 BST 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 12:25 PM, SteveC <steve at asklater.com> wrote:

> There was a super fun OSM meetup in Denver last night with about 20 people
> there. It was the second one (they're monthly now), hosted upstairs in a bar
> that did good food.
>
>        Picture: http://opengeodata.org/osm-denver-second-meetup
>
> There are various plans to start running mapping parties and other events
> We need to make our zoo here in Denver as well mapped as DC or Berlin :-).
> It's a format that's working pretty well in places like the UK and Germany -
> regular meetings to chat OSM.
>
> I think there are fairly regular meetups in SF? And in DC there is a geo
> meetup with an OSM slant (correct me if I'm wrong).
>
> Is there anyone here from other major metros like Chicago? Seattle? LA?
> Boston? NY? Do you want some help getting a meetup started? It feels like
> the community is mature enough here in the US to begin regular meetups in
> most cities, publicize them on things like meetup.com and get a community
> going. Each will have it's own goals per city of course.

Anyone in NYC is most welcome & encouraged to come to our mapping party
workshop on Sunday. (
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Meetup/NYC/Wiki-Conference)   I'm
sure beer & socializing will happen on Saturday evening w/ Wikimedians .

I know that NYC has a meetup group, though doesn't appear overly active.  I
can make effort to reach out to them and see who is interested in getting
things going there.

http://www.meetup.com/NYC-OpenStreetMap-enthusiasts/

In DC, it's been a while since our last meetup.  We should do one soon and a
mapping party, as autumn (cooler, nice weather) will be upon us.

Cheers,
-Katie

> Thoughts?
>
> Steve