[Talk-us] Meetups around the US

SteveC steve at asklater.com
Wed Aug 25 17:35:21 BST 2010

Am Aug 25, 2010 um 10:31 AM schrieb Ian Dees:
> I'm here in Minneapolis and have done a couple mapping parties (with 7 or 8 people) where mapping actually happened. I think get-togethers/meetups would be a good next step. I'm not very social and don't enjoy the "bar-scene" very much. Have any tips for pulling something like this together?

Setup a meetup on meetup.com. A lot of people won't do facebook for meetups. Make sure they're on defined days like "third thursday each month". Have a few goals like discussing where to map, or having an editing intro class or something. Doesn't have to be in a bar, but the availability of beer often makes for a fun evening. Cafe can do just as well. The key is regularity and building a core of people to build the local community, I think.

> Also, since I'm a nerd: would it be helpful to have a list/calendar/map mashup of active meetups on the osm.us page somewhere?

wiki.openstreetmap.org has a master calendar that I add events to.

Steve

stevecoast.com