[Talk-us] Meetups around the US

Katie Filbert filbertk at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 17:39:03 BST 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm here in Minneapolis and have done a couple mapping parties (with 7 or 8
> people) where mapping actually happened. I think get-togethers/meetups would
> be a good next step. I'm not very social and don't enjoy the "bar-scene"
> very much. Have any tips for pulling something like this together?

Ian,

Getting together at a coffeehouse or cafe works too.  The local library is
also a good place to meet (they probably have rooms available to reserve for
free + wi-fi).  Making it a combo mapping-socializing event works.

If it's only 7-8 people, then reserving space may not be needed, but I know
some (e.g. not starbucks) may have a back room or space that can be reserved
for meetup groups.

Make sure they have wi-fi.  And, if people go out to map, it helps to have
someone stick around at the coffeehouse (for any stragglers & to keep the
space).

> Also, since I'm a nerd: would it be helpful to have a list/calendar/map
> mashup of active meetups on the osm.us page somewhere?

Sure, that would be great.  Also, make sure to list them on the calendar on
the OSM wiki main page.  (most of the events listed are in Germany, let's
get more US events listed)

-Katie

Katie Filbert
filbertk at gmail.com