[Talk-us] Meetups around the US

Katie Filbert filbertk at gmail.com
Wed Aug 25 17:52:02 BST 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 12:31 PM, Ian Dees <ian.dees at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm here in Minneapolis and have done a couple mapping parties (with 7 or 8
> people) where mapping actually happened. I think get-togethers/meetups would
> be a good next step. I'm not very social and don't enjoy the "bar-scene"
> very much. Have any tips for pulling something like this together?

Another issue with doing meetups and mapping parties in the US at pubs is
that it can exclude people younger than 21 years old. (e.g. college or high
school students)  For Wikimedia meetups, we always have to keep that in
mind, as that age group includes many of our volunteers.

Pubs are fine for socializing, but I say not for mapping events.  (the pub
could be afterwards, separate, optional...)

-Katie

> Also, since I'm a nerd: would it be helpful to have a list/calendar/map
> mashup of active meetups on the osm.us page somewhere?

Katie Filbert
filbertk at gmail.com
@filbertkm