[Talk-us] dead line for joining & voting in current board election

Ian Dees ian.dees at gmail.com
Thu Aug 26 04:51:55 BST 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 10:39 PM, Samat K Jain <lists at samat.org> wrote:

> On Wednesday, August 25, 2010 04:39:53 pm, Richard Welty wrote:
> >   The deadline for join & vote will be 5pm Friday, Eastern Time.
> > The election ends at 2:15pm Sunday, Eastern Time.
> >
> > If you wish to join, here is the link:
> >
> > http://www.openstreetmap.us/membership/
>
> Not to be negative, but I'm on the fence—other than the OSMF US board
> election, what other benefits are there to be an OSMF US member?

I joined because I'm interested in helping shape the way OSMFUS improves the
community in this part of the world. I think there's value in having a group
that can act as a organization for mappers in the US to rally behind and use
as an "excuse" (e.g. "I'm collecting data to help the non-profit
OpenStreetMap US group, why do you ask Mr. Policeman?") or "media contact"
reference when talking to outsiders.

There are other, longer-term goals that I think OSMFUS could have, too: pay
for lawyers to clear up local licensing issues, gather resources so we can
have US-specific debug tools (think TIGER fixup or tagwatch, etc.), or
represent the United States in the OSM Foundation.

-Ian