[Talk-us] Towns as Areas or Points

Serge Wroclawski emacsen at gmail.com
Tue Aug 31 11:36:53 BST 2010

As so often happens in OSM, a small mystery turns into a big question,
so here's mine for the week:

If you don't want the explanation, just skip down to the part where it
says "THE QUESTION".

I live in a place called Silver Spring, Maryland.

It's not prominently displayed on the map: http://osm.org/go/ZZcfj5yN-

Yet Takoma Park, which is much smaller, does.

It turns out the reason is that the node for this town is:
http://nominatim.openstreetmap.org/details.php?place_id=437409

And has the tag hamlet.  Silver Spring is not a hamlet. It has about
80,000 people living in it according to
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silver_Spring,_Maryland

My initial thought was "Well we should change the point", but then I
discovered this relation:

Which seems better (it still says that SS is a locality, which is
essentially the same as a hamlet/village, but it at least has the
administrative boundaries).

THE QUESTION

Do I fix the node? Do I copy the tags from the node into this relation
and then fix the relation?

Why was the node the thing that came up in nominatim searches, and not
the relation?

If I remove this node, will bad things happen?

- Serge