[Talk-us] Towns as Areas or Points

Phil! Gold phil_g at pobox.com
Tue Aug 31 15:30:07 BST 2010

* Emilie Laffray <emilie.laffray at gmail.com> [2010-08-31 11:44 +0100]:
> In France, we keep the two systems, a point and a relation for marking a
> town. The main reason is that the point can be used to reflect what the
> proper center of the town is.

I note that the boundary relation has a role for the place name.  If the
Mapnik styles honor that, it might remove the need for having two names on
the map.  I don't know whether it does, though; the US seems to have
settled on using multipolygon relations for administrative boundaries
(probably because that's what the TIGER import used), so I haven't seen
boundary relations up close.

--- --
A rock pile ceases to be a rock pile the moment a single man contemplates
it, bearing within him the image of a cathedral.
                       -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery