[Talk-us] How to use 2010 NAIP imagery for tracing?

Samat K Jain lists at samat.org
Sun Dec 5 05:59:19 GMT 2010

On Friday, November 26, 2010 11:33:06 am Nathan Edgars II wrote:
> The WMS URLs on
> http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/National_Agriculture_Imagery_Program
> don't have the latest imagery available from NAIP, which is
> downloadable as huge (1 gig) georeferenced MrSID files. Is there any
> way to use these as a background for tracing?

I'm late to the thread, but has anyone noticed that NAIP 2010 imagery (as available from the USDA's geospatial gateway[1], at least) seems to be missing a color band? There isn't any green!

  [1]: http://datagateway.nrcs.usda.gov/

On a related note, you can convert the lossless MrSID from the USDA's gateway to tilesets for use in Potlatch, Merkaartor, JOSM slippymap, etc. I'm working on a blog post detailing the workflow. I've been assembling imagery for some counties of New Mexico, Colorado, and Texas here (beware—work in progress and subject to change!):

  http://maps.rhombic.net/NAIP-2009/

The 1m/pixel imagery goes to z17.

Generating it myself means I can use it offline, and also hand it off to other mappers via USB disk, and none of us have to wait on the Internet (being from barren southern New Mexico, I suppose we're used to being ignored and having to fend for ourselves).

More information at the OSM wiki page for New Mexico:

  http://wiki.openstreetmap.org/wiki/New_Mexico

--
Samat K Jain <http://samat.org/> | GPG: 0x4A456FBA

Troutman's Postulate:
(1) Profanity is the one language understood by all programmers.
(2) Not until a program has been in production for six months will the most harmful error be discovered.
(3) Job control cards that positively cannot be arranged in improper order will be.
(4) Interchangeable tapes won't.
(5) If the input editor has been designed to reject all bad input, an ingenious idiot will discover a method to get bad data past it.
(6) If a test installation functions perfectly, all subsequent systems will malfunction.
-- None (574)