[Talk-us] Mountain Letters

Val Kartchner val42k at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 03:39:06 GMT 2010

On Mon, 2010-12-13 at 18:38 -0800, Alan Mintz wrote:
> At 2010-12-13 16:10, Val Kartchner wrote:
> >I was just looking around the local (about 20 miles away from my house)
> >area, and I noticed that someone had traced the letter "B" on the
> >mountain.  They had tagged the letter for Bountiful High School that is
> >visible satellite images.  This had been done as a footway.  This is the
> >wrong way to do it, but what is the right way?
>
> How about man_made=sign, which has been used 17 times. All of them are
> nodes. Some have name/operator, and others have sign:value. None render in
> Mapnik nor Osmarender.
>
> I think it's useful to mark these. Nodes should render as a simple
> rectangular sign, with adjacent name label. If big signs are drawn as
> ways/closed ways, they should render as lines/filled areas.

I can conceive that someone would like to be able to search for letters
around the country (or world), so it would be good to tag these as some
kind of sign.  However, I like how it was rendered, as the actual
letter.  Is there some way that we could come up with to tag these so
that both goals would be satisfied?

- Val -